Български (България)English (United Kingdom)
Problem 551: Karol Mlynka - Fairy (KoBul Kings, Super Pawn, Sentinelles, Anti Super Circe, Pressburger King)
karol.mlynka(11.03.2015) Series Reflexmate in Tanagra form by Karol Mlynka.

a) 1.Ke2(+wPf2) 2.Kf1(+wPe2)
3.SPxc6(g7=rR)(wSPc6-h8B)+ Rxh8(f1=rB)(bRh8-h1)(+bPh7)#
   b) 1.SPf8S 2.Sxh7(g7=rR)(wSh7-g6)
3.Kh1(+wPg2) Rxg6(h1=rS)(bRg6-f1)(+bPc6)#

A tanagra with minor promotions in Serie-Reflexmate. White Pressburger King is mated as Kobul King (= royal B or S). (Author)

Pressburger King (Super-transmuting King): King, which definitively takes the nature of the checking piece. After being checking, the King loses his Royal status and can be captured.
Super Pawn:can go as far as they like in the usual directions, when moving or capturing; promotions are normal.
Sentinelles: When a piece (Pawn excluded) leaves a square outside the first and last rows, it leaves a Pawn of the color of the side that played unless 8 Pawns in this color are already on the board.
Anti Super Circe: After a capture the capturing piece (Ks included) must immediately be removed on any free field on the chess board.

Comments  

0 #1 Seetharaman Kalyan 2015-03-12 11:13
Nice underpromotions in the notoriously difficult to handle Supercirce variety! Despite so many fairy elements, the problem is enjoyable! I am not sure however as to why the 'Pressburger King' is essential for the theme shown.

0 #2 Diyan Kostadinov 2015-03-13 01:00
Actually Pressburger King is used only for soundness of the problem in my opinion.

0 #3 Kjell Widlert 2015-03-13 17:32
I'm not sure I understand this. Is the o
idea that the wK loses the Pressburg property when it is transformed by the KoBul condition into another royal piece? That isn't self-evident, it doesn't even seem logical to me.

But if the wK still has the Pressburg property at the end - then the mates are obviously no mates at all. (It is almost impossible to mate a Pressburg K!)

0 #4 Seetharaman Kalyan 2015-03-13 18:02
Thanks for your comment Kjell. As I understand it, the Pressburger King has the following property:

When checked, the check has to be countered immediately. Failure to do so is mate. ONLY after the check is answered the King loses its royal property.

Transformation through "Kobul Kings" does not affect its royal status (as there is no check to the King on that move in this problem)

0 #5 Nikola Predrag 2015-03-13 19:52
Kjell's question was:
Does the white royal piece have the Pressburger property in the end?
It was not about the royal property.

Or, why the white royal B/S doesn't "take the nature of the checking piece" when it is checked in the end?

0 #6 Kjell Widlert 2015-03-13 20:36
To be absolutely clear: why doesn't White in part a) defend by Kf1xh1=wR? The Pressburg K on f1 takes the nature of the checking piece, which is a rook. And of course the same question applies to part b) (why not 4.Kh1xf1=wR ?).

It seems to me the wK must have lost the Pressburg property, which must have happened when the wK was KoBul-transformed, and I don't quite see the justification why this would happen.

Or else the problem is unsound.

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

P1110623

KOBULCHESS.COM

site for chess composition

General editor:

Diyan Kostadinov

Co-editor:

Seetharaman Kalyan

Recent comments