Български (България)English (United Kingdom)
Problem 573.1: Kenan Velikhanov - Helpmate
kenan.velikhanov(21.04.2015) Helpmate with Bristols, echo-model mates and critical play.
Version 573.1. is included.

573. Kenan Velikhanov (Azerbaijan)
H#3        b) Kd3-f3        (4+12)

a) Sd4 Qc1 2.Rc2 Sxb7 3.Re2 Sc5#
b) Se4 Qh2 2.Qf4 Sxc6 3.Qe3 Se5#

Bristols, echo-model mates! (Author)

This version 573.1 was sent by the author in 2015 and he want it to replace the original n.573 for the Informal tourney 2015.

Comments  

+3 #1 eugene david rosner 2015-04-21 03:48
beautiful bristol play albeit a somewhat heavy black force, but there is something familiar about the idea that I MAY have seen before. Vitaly, you're usually quick on these helpmate searches?!

+1 #2 xirdalan 2015-04-21 05:28
Dear Eugene, I am calm at the expense of its predecessor. It simply is not. For 30 years I have been making a total of three matches. I think it is not yet time. :-)

+1 #3 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-21 17:42
The idea is very attractive though partially anticipated (see below)
A weak point of Kenan's problem is W2 since the white must spend two moves by Knight to deliver the mate - it is too much expansive, on my view. Also, the capture of thematic Sc6 is a shortcoming as well as the twin is.
By the way, there are no echo-mates since the mate positions are different.

+2 #4 Seetharaman Kalyan 2015-04-22 02:55
Except for the placing of BQ/BR/WQ, the play of the two problems are quite different.

+2 #5 xirdalan 2015-04-22 04:49
I tried to do it without taking a thematic figura.Ne turned out. Of course you can also give a second stroke for the queen, but with less white materials. Queens making a critical move, I went with the fact that, under the terms of the theme Bristol, paving the figure in the future should not participate in the game.

+2 #6 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-22 13:35
Quote:
Except for the placing of BQ/BR/WQ, the play of the two problems are quite different

I gave the Rotenberg & Loustau's h#3 for comparision since the both problems have similar motives on B1 (gate-opening) and W1-B2 (Bristol bicolor) but incoming effect of B1 is different. Rotenberg & Loustau's problem has a complete orthogonal-diagonal analogy of the play and beauty geometry in the play of WQ - it is one of the best h#3 in the whole history of the genre, on my view.

+2 #7 Seetharaman Kalyan 2015-04-22 16:40
Of course Rotenbert/Loustauv's H#3 is a great problem with remarkable unity between the solutions! The queen mates are of course known, shown here with one self block.

h#2 4+10
HTML code: Fougiaxis, Charalampos HarrySpringaren, 1992

Solution:
1.Bf4-d2 Qe6-a2 2.Rc5-d5 Qa2-c4 #
1.Rc5-c2 Qe6-e1 2.Bf4-e5 Qe1-e3 #

+3 #8 Marjan Kovacevic 2015-04-22 18:27
What may be the reason to leave this beautiful problem by Harry out of the award in 1992?

+2 #9 Seetharaman Kalyan 2015-04-22 19:05
Quoting Marjan Kovacevic:
What may be the reason to leave this beautiful problem by Harry out of the award in 1992?

Really beautiful with so many lines involved. The W1 moves are critical moves letting black close the just opened line! Surprisingly it is also a tempo move!

+2 #10 Nikola Predrag 2015-04-22 19:06
Vitaly,
"...it is one of the best h#3 in the whole history of the genre, on my view..."

I agree, but it's a dangerous statement, without mentioning the essential point.
There is a most banal and ugly motivation for a white move, annihilation of a black piece which prevents the mate.
Beginners might conclude that such captures are desirable as a thematic content.

But such captures are a terrible waste of time, deserving no place in an really good helpmate, IN PRINCIPLE. They reveal that the author couldn't find a subtle finer move for White.

However, this apparent "ugliness" makes here the most beautiful part of the idea, due to the perfectly convincing PARADOX.
Of course, a capture of a black piece is anything but paradoxical, but HOW and WHY only in the presented way, that's what governs this mechanism.

+1 #11 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-22 20:16
Quote:
Beginners might conclude that such captures are desirable as a thematic content.

Nikola, I really don't like captures of black officers in helpmates but here we have the reduced Chumakov theme - reciprocal change of functions between Ba6/Re8 (being captured/self-bloks). As far as I know this theme is very popular in helpmates for recent years.

+1 #12 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-22 20:26
Quote:

According to PDB the problem won 5th HM but it deserves a Prize distinction, undoubtedly!

+1 #13 Nikola Predrag 2015-04-23 00:52
Vitaly,
Chumakov theme is very popular exactly because it's rather trivial.
Selfblock itself is trivial and annihilation in the other phase is even worse. And annihilation of a black guarding piece is an undignified white move, most trivial to motivate.

What we should expect from future h#?
Black plays for selfblocks and White captures around all "unfriendly" black pieces?
That's against the essence of h#, if a black piece is on the board, Black should help by moving it away if there is no subtler way (interference, pin etc.). Annihilation is for an enemy and not for a friend.

It's a complex, or logically deep, or paradoxical motivation, that makes a great problem.

+1 #14 Nikola Predrag 2015-04-23 00:54
Rotenberg&Loustau have shown a highly artistic and paradoxical way how and why Black HELPS White to reach the pieces which must be captured.

Black does not help Qxa6 by opening the direct diagonal route by Sc4~, but by double closure Se5-d3!

However, Sc4 does play in the other phase (to e3), doubly closing e-file, helping wQ to reach e8, instead of opening the direct orthogonal route by Se5~ (but bSe5 does play in the 1st phase).

+1 #15 Nikola Predrag 2015-04-23 00:56
So, it's not only ONE white move "trivially" motivated by the annihilation of a black piece, but the whole content is motivated by the paradoxical need of TWO such moves.

And the paradox is truly convincing. Someone says:
"Look at this h#3, Black will move away one or the other Knight to enable White to capture bBa6 or bRe8."

First guess about a one-move captures (diagonal of bB and orthogonal of bR) would have to be changed into a two-move actions, orthogonal on the bent line e2-e6-a6 and diagonal bent line e2-b5-e8.

This reciprocal change of logic, between the "delusive" and the "real" effects of the moves, creates a whole new dimension beyond the mere "geometrical" beauty and "Chumakov reciprocity".

And even more could be found in this masterpiece, with a bit more of fantasy.

+1 #16 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-23 04:58
In most cases, the capture of a black piece is the rudeness and triviality that is incompatible with the notion of the art of chess composition but sometimes such captures look very harmoniously and paradoxically especially if there is any functions permutation of thematic pieces.

Quote:
"Look at this h#3, Black will move away one or the other Knight to enable White to capture bBa6 or bRe8."

B1 is bi-valve, of course.

Quote:
And even more could be found in this masterpiece, with a bit more of fantasy.

Exactly!!!

+1 #17 Vitaly Medintsev 2015-04-23 05:08
A captured black officer in helpmates is something like a cured cancer which was seriously hampered to achieve a goal.

+1 #18 Kenan Velikhanov 2015-04-23 05:39
Quoting Vitaly Medintsev:
Quote:

Nikola, I really don't like captures of black officers in helpmates but here we have the reduced Chumakov theme - reciprocal change of functions between Ba6/Re8 (being captured/self-bloks). As far as I know this theme is very popular in helpmates for recent years.

No theme Chumakov in problem Rotenberg&Loustau. Because the mat at Furze captures field where the first move went horse. Horse plays a role as overlapping rather than blocking figure.

+1 #19 Kenan Velikhanov 2015-04-23 05:45
No theme Chumakov in problem Rotenberg&Loustau. Because the mat at WQ captures field where the first move went horse. Horse plays a role as overlapping rather than blocking figure.

+2 #20 Kenan Velikhanov 2015-04-23 05:54
I'm still learning to work directly on the site. Therefore, I am sorry if that something is wrong.

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

P1110623

KOBULCHESS.COM

site for chess composition

General editor:

Diyan Kostadinov

Co-editor:

Seetharaman Kalyan

Recent comments